the world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. - Saint Augustine

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Torches.

On September 15 of 1821 Guatemala won it's independence from Spain. This date has since been a widely celebrated national holiday by Guatemalans all over.

I must admit the celebration really is quite an exciting holiday to be a part of. By day you can find all sorts of chaos. Processions, tons of balloons, loud music and very large crowds of people. Not to mention hours worth of traffic. Basically, the mayhem most countries ensue on their day of freedom. I mean whats not to celebrate, right?! 
By night is another story. The whole country turns into this magical candlelit wonderland. Almost like a vigil. Guatemalans around the country participate in runs bearing torches with the biggest, brightest of flames. It's really less viking and more mysterious than it sounds. 
This fire hazard definitely wouldn't swing in the USA so you bet I was dying to run around the country bearing flames too! Sadly, the closest I got to a torch was this one set on our table at Cafe No Se. Not that I'm complaining! I was actually as happy as a kid would be in a candy store. After all I was in my favorite bar in the entire world... and finally had a torch (of some sort) of my very own!
*

No comments:

Post a Comment