Thank God It's Friday And I'm In Moscow!
A perfect acronym, because being Friday in Moscow meant I had survived my first afternoon and night of solo'ing around the city AND was about to embark on my first full day. With that in mind I gobbled up my Nature Valley bar "breakfast", threw on a bunch of layers, my ridiculously heavy (but warm!) coat and set out. Of course, with a map and camera and my hand dandy itinerary as well.
After a quick, smooth, clean, not to mention pleasing to the eye ride on the Moscow Metro (*the best metro in the world - more to come on that later*) I had reached point A. The area known as Zamoskvorechye is a quaint little neighborhood with many windy, interesting streets that were yearning to be explored.
Leave it to me to stumble upon a market. It was no Chichicastenango, but it was equally as colorful. Just a few laps around and I was on my merry way. Who was I to think that I was actually on my way though. Literally turn the corner and BAM! A gorgeous cathedral. I had to stop in.
The Resurrection Church in Kadashi Sloboda (Храм Воскресения Христова в Кадашах) is a major Naryshkin Baroque church in Moscow, formerly the tallest building in Zamoskvorechye, which may still be seen from Red Square.
The outside abbey alone was a gorgeous sight in itself, but after receiving a formal invitation to see the inside I couldn't resist. The place was absolutely breath-taking! ...and to think it's under construction. I would love to see what becomes of it. 'Ya know on my next visit ;)




No comments:
Post a Comment